Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Week 10: Warwick Thornton in conversation with Margaret Pomeranz

Margaret Pomeranz and Warwick Thornton

Last week I was incredibly privileged to be able to see Margaret Pomeranz in conversation with director Warwick Thornton. I was very excited to see the duo because I am a fan of both Margaret's ABC program At The Movies with David Stratton, and of Warwick's film Sampson and Delilah. In real life, both were very engaging and entertaining, and I felt inspired to reach a standard of excellence in my own practice that both exemplify.

As a visual arts student, one of the things I found most interesting that Margaret and Warwick discussed was the craft of filmmaking. I was not aware that Warwick began his career as a camera man, and has continued to use his technical skills to write, shoot AND direct many of his films. It was fascinating to hear Warwick discuss the merits of film versus digital and that he laments the loss of analogue processes, because similarly I love to use slow construction methods. When I watched Sampson and Delilah a few years ago I thought it was one of the most beautifully poignant films I had ever seen, and to learn about the creative energy that went into such a feat of storytelling encourages me with my own endeavours. I love art that has a narrative, so film is especially inspiring for me, but to know the preparation which goes into something so seemingly effortless makes me feel better about something which I similarly develop over time in my own paintings.The point Warwick stressed the most was that you can survive with some luck and talent in the creative realm, but majorly you need to work at it, practice and absorb inspiration from others in your field.

I also loved hearing them discuss that sometimes one idea does not fit the medium you have in mind for it. For instance, in Warwick's case, not every story should be made into a feature length film - sometimes it should belongs as a short film or even an art installation. I think this is applicable to all the ideas we have as artists and emphasises that we need to experiment to discover what manifestation our creative thoughts will take. It was great to hear that even a fantastic director like Warwick has bad ideas sometimes, so we also must have the strength to abandon ideas. One of the final points Warwick made was that failure is a state of mind. Films that one person hates, another loves, so as long as you are proud of your own work and that it is something you yourself would pay to see, you can have success. If one is truthful and does things properly, then you can tell any story, and, further, seeing Margaret and Warwick has even inspired me to push on from painting and work with the medium of moving images!

No comments:

Post a Comment